Friday, August 26, 2011

MY LOST PASSION


" Hey , coming for a match ?" , he asked me.
  Yes , say Yes , My heart was pumping up when he asked me to join .
" No", I replied.
" Ok man , see you later" he rushed to ground then.

I wished if i could join them...... even though , I refused...... don't know why i did so . there was a time when I used to forget everything while i play CRICKET......
Yes  , Cricket... It was my Passion........ My Lost Passion

      Cricket was more than just a game to me....... I used to dream to about myself playing for a team , but not now. I get drown to deep memories , when i hold a cricket bat. I wish to take a run up when i grip my fingers on a cricket ball.All these stuffs make my soul flying high......That's how i felt for this game...since my childhood.


  I remember , I was 7 when I saw the first cricket match in Television. May be I had watched before , but i wasn't bothered about or never got attention to it before. The match was played between India & Zimbabwe at Sharja  , I guess.The only player I heard till then was Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.he hit his 22nd ton in ODI in that match and won by 10 wickets , chasing a target 196 . Another moment in the same match  I recollect was the 3 massive sixes hit by the other opener , Sourav Ganguly , to the roof top of stadium , still remembering the Classic commentary by Tony Grieg that "HE LOVES THAT ROOF, HE LOVES THAT ROOF!".

  This match made me started caring about cricket then on. I loved it , even though i wasn't aware of how to play it , I just watched and enjoyed those moments , especially the electrifying tight packed crowd in Indian home grounds. I was in 2nd grade in school by the time.

And when I got into 4th grade, at my age of 9 , I started joining my friends playing cricket in my school, my passion starts growing bigger from there on....

I saw no skills , but just hunger to win  among my friends. I started playing as a good for nothing player , can neither bat nor bowling and even poor in fielding. Seems like neither team wanted me. gradually I started learning more about cricket and some popular names of players.I came to heard about the Legendary of Kapil Dev, former Indian captain who brought World cup in 1983, for the first time. besides hostile, the excited and noisy Indian crowd , made me fascinated to play more cricket. And yes , it was the time when cricket was becoming a religion in India , which every Indian would worship.

  During 1999 World cup at England , watched some matches , made me a hardcore fan of it.Especially , when I watched the match between Ind and Kenya , when Sachin hit an unbeaten 140 with Dravid (100). It was the first match played by Sachin , after returning from his father's funeral. Well I started admiring him. his batting made me felt like its too easy .

 Even though , I couldnt find the game easier to play . I took almost two years to take my first run, while playing with my friends.they put me lower down the batting order , as a tail ender , since i always got dismissed for no run. Apart from that , I was also playing with my cousins, which is a reason what I've got now in this name. With an array of disappointing failures in batting, i slowly diverted my focus into bowling, later moulded me into an All-Rounder. 
  Playing with my cousins , actually made some talents in batting in me. I got more chance to play balls.Most of the bowlers I faced was speedsters, fast bowlers.In those days , we wont see much spinners.everyone likes to play aggressive style of cricket. Obviously , my batting style suited for fast bowleers, I lacked the technique facing spinners. Not much foot movement , got me into a back-foot player , always play in a defensive mind. Never able to play attacking shots.

After my 7th standard(2002-03) , I shifted to another school. well , that made more shaping my talents . Made me realize , cricket is not only about street smartness, its a game of brain and application too. I studied there only just more than an year , before I shifted to hometown Kochi. but that short span of time was enough to made me better. i exploited the chances to play on bigger grounds. i had some good moments to cherish , which i batted and recoverd my team from an early blow in the innings and a funny catch i took from near the boundary line which was going for a marginal six.
 I can't remember any day whether i skipped playing in those days. my skills and vision was expanding quicker , every match i watched , i used to pick one best shot from it and tried to practice it . I was a great fan of Sourav Ganguly, Indian skipper that time.Many memorable moments happened under his captaincy. I loved when he stepped out of crease against spinners . I tried to copy his many shots , but you got to be another Sourav if you wanna play those shots. Such a gifted player.....

My 3rd school (2004-2008), was the peak of my cricket life and the reasons to give up starts .(continue)

No comments:

Post a Comment